Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wish I Had Thought of That: Noteworthy Start Ups

Tony Hsieh speaking at Bentley University
Yesterday I wrote about buying products from my favorite company, Zappos. Tony Hsieh authored a book titled 'Delivering Happiness' (get it here on Audible.com and read books the easy way). The book not only gives an in depth look at Tony's road to Zappos, but it also helps you get to the root of what drives you - what makes you happy. Zappos isn't actually a shoe company: it's a customer service company specializing in selling great products.

On his book tour I had the opportunity to ask Tony what I should do to prepare to take my company as my full time job. Tony told me to be like MacGyver - learn everything. This blog is not only meant to chronicle my company growth, but also to share all the noteworthy info I come across in my pursuit to become a better small business owner.

I read this book last year before I took the leap to go to China and formally start Silk Road Pearls. The concepts Tony talked about helped me focus on what was important to me in creating a company: great customer service. That's become the foundation of Silk Road Pearls to deliver quality customer service whether we're creating a more user friendly website, custom made bridesmaids gifts, or helping someone pick out the perfect gift for someone special.

Here are some other amazing start ups:

 1. The entrepreneurship bug has bitten my family hard: my cousin Libby (a former middle school biology teacher) and her husband Santi (a tour guide in the Galapagos) are first time farmers on Santa Cruz Island in Ecuador. Among the things they grow on Finca Pachamama: coffee, citrus, and Lib has this great little garden with veggies.
Lib's freshly built garden beds
Lib showing us the baby coffee plants


Their farm is frequented by a roaming Giant Tortoise they've named Ophelia. And yes, that's me in my Silk Road Pearls and farm boots. 

2. Lib's brother, Dave, is also trying his hand at a start up of a different kind: bike sharing in Boulder, CO. The company, Boulder B-cycle, already has a great start!

Congrats Dave!

When Mike and I visited Portugal two years ago, many towns offered free bike rental to tourists. It's a great idea and would do well in Boston and NYC, where space is very limited (not to mention those great old Boston stairways - too narrow to fit a queen sized box spring).

3. A high school classmate of mine, Chris Clark, started Sunflower Solutions - a company that creates high performing, low cost solar power systems. His products are being used to provide t electricity to hospitals, schools, and communities in Africa. Here's a great profile Cleveland.com did on Chris and the company.



4. Rent the Runway - This high end dress rental company was great during last year's wedding season. I loved this Herve Leger dress I wore to Julia and Matt's wedding in Oregon wine country.

5. A Denver based company that sells everything Rubber Ducks. A great quote I found from the owner: "How do you turn a $2 duck into a million-dollar business? It's because you grab a hold of something people know and remember, and you leverage that."

6. Do you remember getting Dip n Dots when you were little? They're now making espresso dots to eat alone or to make instant coffee. It's all about the liquid nitrogen - always a favorite on Top Chef.


7. IdeaPaint makes dry erase wallpaper. How cool would it be to have this as your workspace?


8. Have you heard of Airbnb?  The San Fransisco based company that helps facilitate short term apartment or room rentals. Airbnb shows out of towners where they could cheaply crash in empty beds of those who have a spare room in their homes or aparments. Airbnb places 10,000 people per night - simply amazing!

9. This story is amazing if you have the time to take a look: the once night club manager turned entrepreneur/philanthropist started charity: water to help bring clean water to small towns in Africa. If you're short on time, check out the 3 min YouTube below on the company.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment