Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wish I Had Thought of That: Part 2

Yesterday I mentioned a few start ups that I really enjoyed learning about. But I realized that so many more people I went to school with are trying their hands at small business, so here are a few more noteworthy Kenston and Lehigh alumni:
 
1. My friend Heather recently got married in the Holden Arboretum Butterfly Garden in Kirtland, Oh. The location was fantastic because of all the flowers, but Jessica Love Photography made her wedding pop off the screen.

The groom's half of the bridal party forming the signature 'O-H-I-O' along the walkway.

The flowers at Holden were absolutely stunning!

I've used several of her photos in the Silk Road Pearls upgrade (Heather's wedding is the subject of 'Pink Themed Weddings') and I can't wait to see the rest of Jessica Love's pictures. Jessica is another Kenston High School alumnus, just like Chris Clark of Sunflower Solutions (mentioned yesterday in 'Wish I Had Thought of That').

2. Another Kenston grad, Amanda Hrabak, is the founder of New Direction Photography, LLC - the company that produced most of the product photos on the Silk Road Pearls website. Amanda has recently moved to a larger studio space and has been working non-stop since she started. She'll be photographing another Kenston grad later this summer in a Maine wedding. The bride has chosen from Silk Road Pearls' wedding collection - we won't give away the surprise!

3. Another fellow alumni entrepreneur, this time from Lehigh: Katie Wedinger's start up - Creative Couture Designs, LLC - may still be in its infancy, but I have a feeling her business will start expanding soon. She's made some beautiful handmade pieces using Swarovski crystals. I can't wait for my chance to hire Katie!

Check out this beautiful veil Katie made!


4. Another Lehigh grad had an article in Tuesday's NYTimes: Samir Soriano (of the start up ReTargeter) explains why mobile advertising is overrated. I'm definitely taking notes.

5. Marshall Kurtz, Lehigh '03, is living the dream at the start up DropBox in San Fran. The company makes sharing files between friends (or locations) infinitely easier. My Gmail inbox is almost tapped out, making me an instant convert.

6. Is there something in the water at Lehigh that turns out entrepreneurs? Will Mayo started AUDIOis while finishing his masters at our alma mater. Will is tearing down boundaries for musicians, who previously had been creatively limited in sharing infectious melodies. Sharing made easy (have you and Marshall talked?).

7. Lindsay Keller's blog, Vineyard Loveknots, puts sorority bulletin boards to shame. Lindsay's style is clean and classic, making it appealing to a wide audience. The products she finds are always impressive with a personal touch. Check out the leading lady in Silk Road Pearls:


The pearls Lindsay is wearing in this photo are all sold out, but these blue pearls arriving Aug 15th are sure to have the same stunning affect. Be sure to reserve yours today - a limited quantity has been ordered.

8. You may not know Zebra Apparel, but your inner athlete should. Started by Lehigh grad Mike Tabb when he was in high school, the company has infiltrated college sports teams like Johns Hopkins in the Maryland area. But with designs like this, you don't have to play lax to love them!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Sara and thanks so much for featuring me! I feel honored! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Lehigh grads!!! Those flowers are beautiful. As Katie said... I'm honored to be on this list.
    I'm adding #9 - SILK ROAD PEARLS!! :)

    ReplyDelete